Today's ride was to the gym for upper body lifting. I rode Roark, the new bike. Ordinarily I'd ride Excelsior the commuter, but I'd trying to break in the road bike and the new saddle.
The new bike computer tends to underestimate mileage. For instance, it's 15 miles to the gym and back, but the new computer gives the figure as 14.15. And since it's underestimating mileage, it's also underestimating speed. According to the computer, my average was 9.63 MPH; over 15 miles instead of 14.15, it's 10.22 MPH. Still not great, but better. Bikely gives the route over 500 feet of climbing, and that played a part in slowing me down.
In addition to the climbing, I had two problems on the ride. One was the railroad tracks at the bottom of Main Street in Royersford. There is a steep climb immediately following the crossing, and I didn't want to attempt it on the new bike. So I walked a block and resumed riding a third of the way up the hill. This didn't help my MPH either.
The second problem was stupidity on my part. Since I was working out at the gym, and I still have platform pedals on the road bike, I wore my crosstrainers for the ride, not wanting to change shoes when I got there. I forgot to tuck the laces in. On the return leg, one got caught in the gears. I coasted, backpedaled, got unstuck, and stopped to tuck the laces in. I dodged a bullet in this instance, since I could have fallen.